| Torio Beach |
Firstly, I'm not sure what Veraguas really means. But it is the only province that touches both the Pacific & Atlantic, so I'm gonna go ahead and say it is literal "Ver" To See, "Aguas" Waters.
Friday we had our regional meeting, which I had been very excited about, since it meant I got to meet the mysterious other PCVs in my province of Veraguas (to be said in a whispered parsel-tongue like tone as you elongate the "as" sound at the end.) Ver-ahhh-guaaassssssss.
Finally, more people arrived and I chatted with those folks. It was initially a little off-putting to think that my region did not seem very inviting. Ouch. But then the doors opened, and we entered the gloriously a/c'd room, and I went out of my way to introduce myself to people and try to remind them of how normal social situations go down at home in the states. Maybe they've been too far removed living in the Panamanian Campo. Ha. People seemed very friendly upon introductions.
I was especially excited to meet the non-TE folks, since I hadn't met anyone from the other sectors other than CEC 76. No one lives super close to me, but there are some interesting folks that live off the grid. I'd love to go see their sites and maybe learn how to do some stuff. The major plus could be that while I go visit, I could return to my own site and ya know, have electricity and showers, and easy access to a washing machine again. :)
Also, I really like how the other sectors have some other people that are my age! Hurray!
![]() |
| 1/2 priced ritas on Thurs! |
After the regional meetings, people tend to get together to go on some sort of trip to celebrate the beauty that is their province. We went to Torio beach, which is to the south - so it's the Pacific Ocean. There were 12 of us total that stayed in the hostel together. After hitting up the grocery store for hostel supplies, we headed back to the terminal for the bus departure. The 2 hour or so bus trip was unbearably hot, but there were some beautiful sights along the way.
| Cows impeding our road to the beach. |
Once we got to Torio, we made our way to the hostel and dropped off our stuff, changed for the beach, and headed down to check it out. It was really beautiful. The sand was only okay, but in terms of the view - wow. It felt like I was on my own private beach.
I swam for a while Friday, and then we had some beers and a fish dinner at the restaurant/bar on the beach. Delicious. I really had a great time getting to know some of the Veraguas folks. That night I finally slept on my Therm-a-rest because the hostel only had 8 beds. I slept well and saved $4 for the hostel. :) Woot! I decided to sleep outside of the dorm room, which was awesome. I got to see so many stars and wasn't eaten alive by mosquitoes, believe it or not! Saturday I woke up to rain, which I loved (because I had a roof overhead), and I got to watch the rain fall on the beautiful landscape. It was like comfort camping. And the hostel even had hot water in the shower, which was beyond luxurious. Saturday, I sort of just hung out and read, and later, we all headed to the beach. That night I splurged on a $8 dinner of lobster pasta. The sauce was so rich; it was yummy. Definitely made me wish I lived closer to the coast. That night we sat around the hostel telling some tales before heading to bed. And the next day we all headed back to Santiago before going our own ways. We lucked out and were able to fit into a busito together. So, my assessment is that Veraguas may have been a little prickly at first, but overall - it's a good group that I think I will fit in with just fine!
Needed a change of
Scenery in life. Ready
To see what comes next.

No comments:
Post a Comment